Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Saddest Meal That Ever Was (Eaten)

The powers out again, shocker. Fortunately, before this I had bought a cup of homemade peanut butter, a cheese wheel of Vache Qui Rit (doesn’t need refrigeration), milk powder and biscuits, so after the power decided it was staying out for the night, I figured I’d call it a Vache Qui Rit night and started setting up the most pathetic meal I’ve ever made, in total darkness. Welcome to being a college student in a developing country. I was also feeling lonely because I’m living by myself, so I turned on a “How Stuff Works” Podcast and ate my sad little (but nutritionally ok!) meal with Josh and Chuck. My dinner conversation was “How Dreadlocks Work.” Simply thrilling. They did  most of the talking...


So if you were feeling  jealous of me after reading my last post, think again.


Fort Dauphin is still wonderful and I’m super happy I’m here. I had a great day meeting contacts for my project and I have a lot of awesome things on the horizon for this month. I’m still very positive about this experience, but losing power all the time stinks, especially because we lose power due to a highly controversial Canadian mining company called QMM, that’s extracting minerals from sand in Fort Dauphin. I’ve been trying to understand this situation better before taking the easy way out and saying “’Fuck QMM and everything they’re doing here” but come on! The people in Fort Dauphin are actually losing power every single day for several hours. GET OUT.

Oh, the power came back on shortly after this and then went out while I was in the middle of a bucket shower. I thought to myself, this is probably how people actually die in developing countries. The power goes out, I slip and fall on the tiles and no one has any idea that I’m dead until Monday when I miss my phone check in with our Academic Director. C’est dommage. 

1 comment:

  1. You should absolutely write to Josh and Chuck. You could basically cut and paste from the entry. I wrote to them last year and they responded.

    ReplyDelete