Monday, February 21, 2011

On a happier note…

I feel like after the last entry, I need to balance out the blog with an optimistic and upbeat entry. My mood’s much improved. I’m back on what would be prescription stomach meds in the US, but can be bought over the counter here. That was convenient, I must admit. So, in lieu of the negative rant below, here is a list of 10 things that I really like, and perhaps even love about Tana.


1.  The music played in restaurants and buses is hilarious and incredibly entertaining. For example, Akon’s “Right Now” just came blasting on the speakers at Hotel Colbert, Tana’s ultra-luxury hotel where the wealthy traveling Europeans and politicians stay when visiting. Yesterday on my bus I heard “Grillz,” “Birthday Sex,” and more Eminem than I knew existed. I have to wonder if the Malagasy people have any idea of the lyrics to these songs.

2. There are Dora the Explorer raincoats and Disney Princess bags everywhere you walk, especially when the schools are letting out. You can’t possibly feel sad when there’s a 40-year old man wearing his daughters Sleeping Beauty backpack walking in front of you.


3.  When you get past the people screaming “vasha,” the men making “tss” flirting noises and the school girls who point and laugh at you, a lot of people do say hello when you pass them in the street. And, as an added bonus, they are pleasantly surprised when they discover that you can respond in Malagasy. Apparently, the traveling French do not make an effort to speak the local language, so our attempts are always warmly received.


4.  It’s normal to go to a restaurant and sit on the hot and sticky porch drinking steaming hot tea. This has almost become comfortable for me, despite my dislike of hot beverages, especially in hot places. But, it’s relaxing and gives me an opportunity to watch the city without becoming overwhelmed by it.


5.   Once you figure out the bus system and get over the cramped nature of it, it’s actually an incredibly efficient and dependable form of transportation... so far.  Despite the initial chaos and seemingly disorganized nature of the Taxi-Be system, I’ve warmed to it and often prefer it to taking a Taxi.

6. Without constant internet access and having no television, I’ve been forced to rediscover other things I like to do like read, draw and write. I’m currently reading The Beach and absolutely loving it. I’m also finding it incredibly relatable to my current experience/feelings/whatever so it’s a good outlet for my boredom or frustration.


7.  There’s milk for my tea! (This is something that just happened) This sounds silly and trivial, but given the rarity of dairy products here, finding milk, cheese, or hopefully one day, yogurt is very exciting and reason for celebration.


8.  Juliette, our femme de ménage, irons my non-underwear clothes. It’s nice being wrinkle free.

9. The pastries here are still AMAZING. Whenever I’m feeling healthy enough to eat one, it’s certainly a highlight to the day.


10.  It’s forcing me to step out of my comfort zone, often. This initially feels icky and, well, uncomfortable, but I do think I’m taking a lot from the experience and I am still glad that I’m here.



No comments:

Post a Comment