Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tsiromandidy: Day of Departure 4:35 AM (3/3)

I’m finally starting to feel comfortable in this country, which is awesome, but it is also frustrating that it took so long to adjust. We’re about to embark on the village stay, which might turn out to be one of the most exciting parts of the trip. We’re each going off to individual villages where Malagasy is the language and French speakers are few and far between. They’ve given us a sack to take to our families, a very survivor-esque sack to get us through the week. (Before getting to the contents of the sack, I would like to add that the group picked me to win a hypothetical game of Survivor. Totally smug.)
The contents of the sack:
Rice (multiple bags)
Beans (white)
Lentils
Oil
Sugar
Salt/ Pepper
Candles (2 sets)
Water Bottles (Six 1.5 Liter)
Toilet Paper (2 rolls)
Flea Powder
Flea Liquid
Soccer Ball
Blanket
Coffee
Tea

So, at least I’ll have the staples. Preparing for this endeavor has put me in a very minimalist mindset. I’m starting to really analyze my possessions here to figure out what it is that I actually need.
I’ve made the decision that I’m going to leave behind my external frame backpack and most of my clothes when I leave. If possible, I’d like to lose the external frame before ISP because it’s so bulky and a nuisance to carry around. I hope my real Dad isn’t crushed about this. I’m thrilled about the possibility to live out minimalism.

Things I’m nervous about for the upcoming village stay:

1. Silence and limited ability to connect with my family through language.
2. Food. I really hope we just stick with rice and beans since I still haven't learned how to say ‘I’m allergic to fish and will break into hives” in Malagasy and have actually gotten worse at the whole willingness to eat meat thing…
3. Boredom/ Down-time. I’m not really sure what we’re going to be doing.
4. Homework Assignments. I don’t quite understand how I’m supposed to get out a family tree and life story when I don’t speak the language.
5. Bugs. Having fleas on top of everything else would just be unpleasant.
6. Personal Space. Like French speakers, this is few and far between.
7. Mal au ventre. (Stomach problems). Self-explanatory.
8. Playing soccer. I’m not very good at being coordinated with my feet. Hence my several years as a sub-par goalie.

I had a funny conversation with someone yesterday about culture shock, but it was in reference to returning to Tana, which seems ludicrous (I just had a lot of trouble trying to spell Ludacris. Did you know Microsoft Word has Ludacris in its dictionary? Wacky) but I could actually see it happening to a slight degree after the village stay. I guess everything is just relative. And it’s sad, but I do already have a list of “luxurious” things (by luxurious I mean, going to the American supermarket and looking for a cookie store) I’m looking forward to doing when I get back to Tana.
FUCKING MOSQUTOS ARE EVERYWHERE. Actually, that’s not quite true. Flies are everywhere and have quickly become my least favorite creatures or “biby kely” in Malagasy (literally meaning tiny animal, haha). The list just keeps changing.

1. Spiders. Cockroaches. FLIES.
2. Mosquitos. Cockroaches.
3. Cockroaches. Mosquitos.
4. Flies. Spiders.

Well, it’s 5:07, people should be waking up soon, which is exciting because I’m lonely and want to speak as much English as possible before not speaking it for a week. I might go a little bit crazy.


My current working Malagasy language skills:
iMichelle no anarako.
Miteny Malagasy kely kely.
Mpetreka Philadelphia.
Mila rano
Tsy Misy! Tsy Mety!
Misotcha
Manaona! Salama!
Tsy tia tronda
Aiza ____?
Amy firy _____?

Well, my pencil no longer has a tip so I’m going to go find awake people.

No comments:

Post a Comment