Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ampihoarana: Day 6

Sometimes I wish I didn’t wake up in a place miles and miles away from the internet and therefore Facebook and think to myself, “Hey, it’s soandso’s birthday.” Why do I remember those things and not how to say “Where is the bathroom?” in Malagasy?

Other than that, I’ve finally gotten to day six of the village stay. There’s 25 hours left until departure. At this point, I have the schedule down. It goes a little something like this:

6:30 Wake Up. Hide in bed as long as possible.

7:20 Breakfast.

7:50 Brush teeth, use WC, wash hands. (Do this slowly to kill time)

8:00 Find something to do until 10 AM (usually writing, watching chickens or homework)

10:00 Gouter (Snack). Drink coffee or tea.

10:30 Kill time until lunch.

12:30 Stand outside of tiny eating room until Host Mom says “Entre.”

12:45 Rice.

1:30 Naptime (Don’t actually sleep because you’ve done nothing but eat)

3:00 Gouter number 2. Hot zebu milk and sugar.

3:30 The wait for dinner begins.

4:00 Watch the rain

4:30 Talk to Mpampionona (French speaking neighbor)

5:30 Become frustrated with how slowly time passes

6:30 Stand outside eating room until Host Mom says “Entre”

7:00 Dinner

7:45 Walk to WC in dark. It’s raining. Go to bed. Lie awake for several hours.

10:00 Sleep

11:30 Wake. Someone’s using a chamber pot. Mmm. Sleep

1:00 Wake

3:00 Wake

4:30 Wake Roosters are also up.

6:30 Strangers are in my room/living room. Feign sleep.

7:20 Breakfast

And that’s that… without much variation. It’s definitely gotten more tolerable since I don’t have the expectation that I’m going to be doing anything else and the little things that I can look forward to, like the chickens that fight, the baby zebu that escapes and my current creative project which involves writing a 40-page “Choose your own adventure: Madagascar” book has kept me occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment